In the Using MGI section, you will learn how to use MGI in
your web site by following step-by-step instructions for typical
MGI functions such as displaying banner ads, processing forms
to email, searching databases, and shopping online. You will
begin using MGI immediately without memorizing every option of
an MGI tag. Read the Using MGI section to get started using MGI
or to review a typical MGI function.
The functions below are organized loosely by complexity with
the simple functions at the top of the list and more complex
functions at the bottom of the list. If you are a new MGI user,
we suggest that you start with the simple functions and try more
complex functions as you gain experience with using MGI. However,
depending on the amount of time you can spend learning MGI and
your goals for using MGI, you may want to start with the function
that is most useful to you. Most examples do not assume that
you have previous knowledge of MGI.
- Learn how to display text and graphic counters on your web
site. Learn advanced counter techniques including counter administration,
custom counter graphics and hidden counters.
- Learn how to send an email that contains information from
a form submission. Learn advanced form processing techniques
including verifying information in form fields, sending email
attachments and sending encrypted emails.
- Learn how to collect, format and display visitors' comments
and information in a guestbook. Learn advanced guestbook techniques
including database-driven guestbooks.
- Learn how to schedule and display banner ads using a web-based
interface. Learn advanced banner ad functions such as displaying
- Learn how to upload files via HTTP file upload.
Protecting Pages (Authentication)
- Learn how to password protect pages with a single username
and password or via IP number. Learn advanced authentication
techniques including using multiple usernames and passwords with
user groups, importing and exporting authentication data, and
form administration of usernames and passwords (adding, deleting,
and verifying usernames, changing passwords, and sending "forgotten"
Polls and Surveys
- Learn how to collect and display survey information. Learn
advanced poll techniques including custom results.
- Learn how to create, grade and manage online quizzes. Learn
advanced quiz techniques including custom quiz grading.
- Learn how to embed one MGI tag within another MGI tag. Learn
advanced embedding techniques including multiple embedded tags
- Learn how to set and display temporary page variables and
database-driven site variables.
If, Then, Else Comparisons
- Learn how to make simple inline and regular if, then, else
comparisons. Learn advanced conditional comparison techniques
such as nested if statements.
and Populating Databases
- Learn how to create, modify, and delete databases, fields,
and records. Learn advanced functions such as importing and exporting
and advanced string searches.
and Displaying Results
- Learn how to search a database and display a list of results
that match the search criteria.
- Learn how to integrate a shopping basket system with hard-coded
products and products displayed from a database search. Learn
advanced online shopping techniques including tax and shipping
rules, customizing the shopping basket display, encrypting orders,
implementing inventory control, and authorizing credit cards
Using ODBC Databases
- Learn guidelines for ODBC set up, tags that are affected
by ODBC databases, and other isues that are specific to ODBC